Monday, November 25, 2013

An Art Update

I'm a frequent DeviantArt lurker. I hope to someday be able to post my art, but I have a long way to go. I'm a firm believer that anybody can be an artist, it just takes practice, practice, practice! For Christmas last year, I got a Wacom drawing tablet! That was a good start to start digitally painting, I'd say. I'm really not good at it yet, it takes a lot of practice to get used to drawing on one thing and looking at another and I just haven't had the time to put forth all the effort it requires. I painted this picture of my dog, Link, back in March of this year. It's not done as I didn't really experiment with fur techniques, but I did practice some shading. And yes, his ears are always like that.


I started reading some blogs and watching how-to videos to try to get better. I read that trying to copy the kind of art that you eventually want to produce is really good practice. Here's my "practice" of one of the simpler kinds of art I like. I didn't even finish the clouds. I practiced more shading, but I still need some help with perspective, colors and rendering.

Artist: kurama-chan

I aspire to paint images like this (go view it in large!):
Artist: Deligaris
Fantastical, colorful, atmospheric and textural. Like I said, long way to go. I enjoy looking at other artist's remakes of previous works; it's so cool to see how much progress can be made as long as you practice.

Artist: Neboveria


New goal: Draw Everyday!



Cool stuff to look at:

You can follow my favorites on Deviant Art here.
My favorite video series on digital painting and drawing in general is Ctrl+Paint
I follow the Muddy Colors and Painting till Death! blogs and read the Imagine FX magazine.
I'm a fan of White Cloud Worlds, a series of published works from New Zealand.
I got really into Strip Search earlier this year, and now I follow a lot of those artists' works - The Cloud Factory being my favorite.